Congratulations! You’ve recently begun your second year of nephrology fellowship and for many, this is the time to really focus on the future. Responsibilities get a little lighter in your second year allowing you some time to actually think about what it is you’d like the rest of your life to look like. Preparing for the boards and finding a JOB are foremost in everyone’s mind and even considering another year of specialization is a possibility for some. Combine those things with questions like:
- “Where am I going to live?”
- “If my spouse is also in the medical field how do I find a job where he/she matches if I know we are probably going to move again when he/she is done?”
- “How do I get a medical directorship?”
- “How can I afford to buy in to a practice?”
- “How can I start my own practice?”
And suddenly your second year isn’t as relaxed as you’d hoped it could be.
The DaVita SOURCE team understands these concerns and hosts events with your program in order to talk these things out and help you find some clarity in what can be a frustrating process. It is our MISSION to be an educational resource to fellows. Here are some things that the SOURCE team can help you with:
1. We talk about things that you aren’t taught during fellowship. Your fellowship has been focused primarily on the clinical aspect of medicine. Your program director wants you to graduate from your fellowship feeling confident that you can treat patients with kidney disease and positively impact their lives. However, you will have to actually be offered a job in order to practice nephrology and there are some things you may not have considered that are actually vital to landing a decent job.
- The CV you used to apply for fellowship is NOT the same document you use for a job search. We can help.
- Do you know what partnership, buy-in, joint venture, overhead, restrictive covenants and tail insurance are? We can help.
- Are you on an employment visa? We can give you suggestions on where to look for a job and how to fulfill those requirements.
2. We don’t host events to present a power point. We host events to answer YOUR questions. Ask us anything. We have been doing this for a long time and have seen just about everything. Looking for a good job can be intimidating and our goal is to help coach you through that process regardless of where you end up practicing. Our interaction also doesn’t have to stop once an event is over. We always make sure you have our contact information so you can reach out to us at any point down the road should issues come up. We are happy to help by offering a variety of services including but not limited to:
- Editing your CV and cover letter
- Explaining common contract language
- Helping you apply to any of our open jobs
3. We usually have 50+ nephrology private practice job openings available across the US at any one time. When we’re not hosting fellowship events and providing you with career guidance, we’re out there working with nephrology practices that are in need of another physician. They hire us to help them find the right candidate for their growing practice, which could be you! We work with practices of any affiliation and size, in big cities and small towns, etc. We can give you information about the current job openings we have available and then direct you on next steps in applying if there is an opening that you are interested in.
This is an exciting phase in your career path and we know that there are life and work events that are pulling you in different directions. Finding some time to meet with the DaVita SOURCE team can help you make sense of the choices that are coming your way. In fact, almost all of the fellows who attended one of our events in 2016 said that meeting with us was helpful in preparing for their job search.
If you are interested in learning more, send us an email at email@example.com today. For other career resource tips and to get an idea of some of the topics we cover during our events, make sure to check out our other blog posts.