With unprecedented circumstances, there comes change. Luckily with the digital age, it is easier than ever to connect with candidates virtually. DaVita SOURCE is here to give you, the employer, the information you need to successfully interview and hire candidates virtually.
Get to know the platform – Once you decide what platform is best for you and your practice and familiarize yourself with the platform and its features. Common platforms include FaceTime, WebEx, Zoom, and Skype.
- Determine if the platform is compatible with your computer
- Install the applications needed
- Create a login and password
- Test speakers and camera
- Log in and test the platform’s features so you can help your candidates if they need guidance
- Check your Wifi connection
Set the scene – Once you are ready to conduct your interview, make sure your set up is similar to a typical in-person interview space. It should be free of distractions, professional-looking and inviting to the candidate.
- Minimize distractions
- Turn off all notifications
- Set your phone to do not disturb
- Minimize all other applications on your computer
- Have a pen and notebook ready for notes – it can be difficult and distracting to switch between screens
- Set up in a quiet place – free of background noise
- Make it visually appealing
- A well-lit room, preferably with natural light
- Clean and tidy
- Neutral background – with natural elements such as plants or minimal decor
- Professional attire
- Style your hair in a professional manner
- Wear a professional outfit
During the interview – A virtual interview may be new for both you and the candidate, so it is important to make sure you are acting professionally.
- Ask your administrator to touch base beforehand to make sure the candidate is set up for the interview and understands the technology
- Use the same tone as you would during an in-person interview and have open communication
- Pay attention to the candidate just as you would during an in-person interview:
- Are they maintaining eye contact?
- Attire – is he or she dressed professionally? Look confident and organized?
- Mannerisms – does he or she seem fidgety and nervous? Distracted? Uninterested?
- Is he or she able to answer your questions?
- Does he or she have good questions and seem interested in the job?
Interviewing digitally may be a change from what you and the candidate are used to in the hiring process, but with help from DaVita SOURCE, you can still find the right candidate for your practice. If you have further questions about recruitment services, please take a look at our other blog posts or feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.